Friday, September 23, 2011

OAMC

OAMC is my new buzz phrase around here and I am in love!!! I have been toying with the idea of doing Once A Month Cooking (OAMC) for a while now and decided to tackle it for real.

And...it was SO much fun!!!

I started by compiling all my recipes and really studying the stuff on this website. She has SO much information and it was super helpful.

After gathering my recipes and making my grocery list I made lists of what to chop first and what to cook and what to prepare when and in what order. It was a lot of preparation work but I think as I do it more it should become easier. Plus, I love list making so that part was really fun too!

I did a rather large (rather painful) grocery shopping trip to start it all off but the good news I kept having to remind myself was that this was going to set us up for a month of meals and the subsequent trips to the store should be considerably less.

(supplies ready on the counter)
(meat in the fridge)
I decided on 15 recipes and doubled everything:

The week before I did this I found a food processor at the thrift store for $2 (yay!) I have wanted one for a long time and this helped out so much!
We chopped everything before we started and laid them out on papers with the recipe number:
Then cooked, and prepared. Most of the meals were marinated meats or dishes that just needed to be thrown into a bag and labeled. We call these "dump" recipes.
Having this little helper was - um, not helpful, but she was fun!


Six hours after I started I ended up with all of this!

26 main courses and 6 sides!

It has been a week since I did this and the effort put forth on that day has been a huge help in the days since. Making dinner has been a breeze. I just pull something out of the freezer, defrost it and cook it according to the label. I throw together a vegetable or rice for the side and we're done.

Can't wait to do it again next month!













3 comments:

THE CORMELL FAMILY said...

It looked like one picture had chicken and pesto and cheese ... can you share that recipe??? Looks really good!

THE CORMELL FAMILY said...

ps .... my email is ... ehcormell@aol.com

I have a recipe blog if you want to check it out ...
http://therecipecupboard.blogspot.com/

Proverbs30one said...

I am TERRIBLE at blogging lately and getting things done on time - SO sorry! I did publish the recipe today though. I hope you enjoy - I'm popping over to check out your blog right now!
:)

Stat Counter