Thursday, February 25, 2010

On February 19th, I gave birth to the most precious little thing I have ever laid eyes on.

My daughter.

I had prepared for a natural childbirth for months. Reading books, talking to friends, looking over articles and blogs all centered around natural, unmedicated childbirth.

Oh, the best laid plans of man...

On Thursday, February 18th at 3am I began labor. My contractions started lightly and were very manageable. My wonderful husband rubbed my back on cue all day long. He was so attentive to my every pain and discomfort and I could not have done this without him. My contractions began to pick up around 8am and continued all day long. There was no real rhyme or reason to them and they were very sporadic so I was confused as to when to go the hospital. We had decided to labor at home for as long as possible before going in. By 5pm it was time. My contractions had become very close together (about 3-5 minutes) and my discomfort level was growing.

We headed to the hospital and were admitted. They checked my dilation at a 2.

TWO. Um really? I just labored at home for the past 14 hours and I was only a two???

Ugh.

So we walked around the hospital. My emotions were beginning to get little crazy. I quickly realized this when while passing a stand in the hospital with pink and blue knitted hats and booties, I burst into tears at the sight.

I wanted my baby.

The walking only lasted about 30 minutes. I was growing increasingly uncomfortable so we decided to go back to our room. It was 7pm and the nurses were changing shift. The nurse that came on shift was transfered here a couple of months ago from a local city which is known for the use of midwives in their hospital and a frequency of natural childbirth. WOW! Thank you God! This was the perfect nurse for me! She was very supportive, offered so much encouragement with what I was doing and helped me so much!

At 8:30pm we decided to bring the Dr in to break my water to help things progress. And did they ever! At 11pm I was checked to be a generous 8cm!!!

The Doctor was called in, and at 11pm I started pushing. I was encouraged to try different positions according to my birth plan which was very helpful but after some time they discovered that our baby was in a posterior (face up) position. Every time I pushed and let up, she would just slip back and make no progress. This continued for 2 hours. The vacuum was tried - nothing.

Then I heard my husband mention the C word.

I snapped at him "what do you have to go and say that for?". The Doctor assured me they were only talking realities and at this point, it was a very strong reality. Now I was in fighting mode. I had been determined to not have an epidural no matter what, and a C-section? - it never even crossed my mind. To the point that in everything I read, whenever that chapter came up I would skip it thinking it just didn't pertain to me.

Do I pushed harder and with more determination for the next 30 minutes than I had all night. And still - nothing.

The anesthesiologist was called in, the epidural was explained (under great protest from me) and with a flurry of activity going on around me like some hospital TV show I was whisked away to the sterile surgery room, my husband was given scrubs to put on and met me after my epidural was administered. I was scared - but in no pain, which felt like a huge relief.

I was prepped for the surgery and 5 minutes later I heard the most beautiful sound of my life.

My baby's first cry.





2 comments:

Brenda@let'splayhouse said...

In a word ...... Miraculous !!!!!!

Thanks - I will read and reread it often.

All in a day's work said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!

Stat Counter