Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Slashing My Grocery Budget

I've been lurking on a few blogs for quite some time and reading about these women who spend only $40-$50 per week on groceries for their families. I love the idea but beyond a few coupon excursions, I never knew if I could do this effectively while still feeding my family of four, three square(ish) meals a day.

I've decided to challenge myself to keep my weekly grocery spending to only $40 per week.

To start with I have a large stockpile of groceries in the freezer and cupboards to draw on. I'm even going to start off by eating from the pantry for this entire week. I hope to not have to buy anything from the grocery store beyond milk and necessities that may come up. Like ice cream - just kidding!!!

Based on the groceries I have on hand, here is my menu plan for the week:

Tuesday
B - Toast and eggs
L - Tomato soup and crackers
D - Beef stew and dumplings

Wednesday
B - Cereal and fruit
L - Leftover stew and dumplings
D - Beef and Cheese Burritos

Thursday
B - Cereal and toast
L - Ramen Noodles and tomato salad
D - Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes, carrots

Friday
B - Waffles
L - Mac & Cheese with hot dogs
D - (Invited out)

Saturday
B - Eggs, bacon, fried potatoes
L - (no lunch)
D - Pizza

After this week, I hope to shop once per week (probably Fridays) and stay out of the store daily - as has been my pattern. We live so close to the store that it is too easy to "just slip in for a couple of things" and walk out with $30 of unplanned spending.

We'll see how it goes!

0 comments:

Stat Counter