Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tortillas!

My family really enjoys homemade tortillas - and I enjoy making them too. I decided to try a whole wheat version this last time. They were delicious!

***********************************

Tortillas

1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Combine first four ingredients in mixer and add enough warm water to make a soft dough. Shape dough into balls and roll out one at a time until very thin and round (ish).
Place in hot skillet and brown first one side...
then the other...
Stack 'em up - and enjoy!
You'll notice I didn't use a skillet but cooked the tortillas right on my flat top stove. I had never tried this before but decided to give it a try (after a thorough washing of course). It turned out better than expected - and I think I'll make them this way all the time now.

Here's a short video of the making of the tortillas. (Sorry the sound is so poor as I had music on while cooking)

video





0 comments:

Stat Counter