Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Niche for Quiche!

UPDATE:

Here is the pastry recipe I used. I only had butter in the house and no lard/shortening so I found this recipe online and it turned out very nicely.

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
Mix flour, salt and butter until crumbly, add ice water until dough forms together. Don't over mix. This recipe only makes one pie shell, so I doubled it.

Original post follows:
*****************

I was at a loss for what to make for dinner last night. It was 4:30 and I had no idea what I was making. I knew I had a ton of eggs - our layers have started laying about 5 eggs a day and I can hardly keep up.

I decided on quiche!

Although I have never made quiche before, I thought it turned out really well.

I started with a whole wheat pastry bottom:


Then gathered some ingredients I had on hand, (I had dehydrated a bunch of zucchini slices last year intending to use them in all sorts of things - this is the first time I've found a use for them though):
Mixed everything up and poured it into the baked shell:

Voila!

One with ham, zucchini, and cheese.

One with chicken, zucchini, and cheese.

1 comments:

Misty said...

That there's a beautiful crust! How DO you do it? :o)

Stat Counter