Friday, November 7, 2008

Shortbread Cookies

Inspired by Kate's post at Simple Walk, I decided to start in on my Christmas baking today. It isn't Christmas in my mind without English Shortbread.



Every year I call my Mom or Grandma for the family recipe because I lost the little paper I jotted it down on the previous year. I was about to call again this year when I realized I had it - the last time I visited family in Canada, I got my Grandma's old recipe cards that her mom had written out. My Grandma didn't understand why I'd want them - but they are a treasure - and now very useful! I keep them framed above my stove.

Shortbread

1/2 pound butter
2 cups flour
4 T icing sugar
pinch salt

Combine softened butter and icing sugar...
...mix well...
Add flour and salt...
I like to dust my counter with icing sugar instead of flour...


Roll out 1/2" thick...

Cut into shortbread circles...

Prick with fork...


Bake for 15 minutes in "hot oven" (as per the 100 year old recipe) I used 325...
Frankly...
I don't know how these last until Christmas...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks good and I'm going to try it but first I need to know how much is 1/2 pound of butter? 1 cup?

Proverbs30one said...

Yes, 1/2 lb butter is 1 cup. YUM!

WendyDarling said...

This looks great! Thank you for posting. :-)

Sherry said...

I love family recipes and this one sounds delish! What a neat idea how you framed them, too!

The Happy Housewife said...

My husband loves shortbread cookies. I will have to try these!
Toni

Kate said...

Oh shortbread is a favorite in my family, but I've yet to find one I really love. With all of that butter, how can you go wrong? I am definitely adding this recipe to my list right now!

And I LOVE your framed recipe cards. What a great idea. I have been begging my grandma for some of her old recipes and cards too. If I ever convince her I really do want them and am not just humoring her, I will definitely be following your lead.

~Kate
http://asimplewalk.blogspot.com
http://happytobeathome.net

Sherrylinn said...

These sound yummy, we'll have to give them a try!

Stat Counter