Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Apple Butter

We were given a bunch of home grown apples so I decided to make a batch of apple butter. It turned out really well - and it was so easy! I used the classic recipe from the Ball Blue Book but cooked it in the crock pot instead of on the stove. It took longer than the alloted 6-12 hours by crock pot, instead I cooked it all day yesterday and overnight. By this morning it was perfect!


Apple Butter
4 pounds apples
4 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
cloves
Peel core, and quarter apples, cook with 2 cups water until apple sauce consistency. Transfer to crock pot, add sugar and spices. Cook all day or more with lid propped open to let steam escape. It will reduce by about 1/4, thicken up and get nice and brown.I chose to blend mine afterwards in my food processor to make it a finer consistency.Spread on toast and enjoy!10 large apples made enough for a pint for the fridge and a large ziploc bag for the freezer.

0 comments:

Stat Counter