Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Shattering the Myths

I haven't posted in a while as we are in the midst of a rather large home improvement project - and homeschooling, and ebay, and housework, and - well, you get it. But I thought I better pause today to capture my thoughts on the Bible study I am taking part in.
Some thoughts:

  • It was interesting to me that the word for woman in Hebrew (ishsha) is definitely singular - meaning wife, woman, female. Proving that this passage is written by one woman - namely Bathsheba, the mother of Solomon.
  • Proverbs 31:10-31 is not a set of strict guidelines or rules for daily living, rather a gentle guide or example for us to follow as women.
Some thoughts when comparing Matthew 6 with Proverbs 31:

  • I do not have to accomplish it all! (yay!)
  • I don't have to be perfect at being a wife and mother
  • I shouldn't be blatantly open about how I live as a Proverbs 31 woman, rather keeping it as a treasure between the Lord and myself. BUT - at the same time, we need to be examples to other women. Hmmm. Something to think about...I think probably no bragging or showing off if I happen to do something exceptional - let it be a reward from my Heavenly Father.
  • Matthew 6:1-4 describes giving to the needy. In a way, my family is "the needy". Not in a bad way, but they need me. That is how God intended it. The Hebrew word for mother is AM (aleph & mem) has the meaning: strong water. Aleph means strong and mem means water. (*The Hebrews made a glue by boiling animal skins in water. As the skin broke down, a sticky thick liquid formed at the surface of the water. This thick liquid was removed and used as a binding agent - "strong water". This is the Hebrew word AM, meaning "mother", the one who "binds" the family together.)
Thanks to Amy for compiling this study - I look forward to future studies!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Very insightful! Can't wait to see how we grow through this bible study!

Laurie Ann said...

Great thoughts here! I love the "strong water" break down. Thanks!

Amy B said...

"I shouldn't be blatantly open about how I live as a Proverbs 31 woman, rather keeping it as a treasure between the Lord and myself. BUT - at the same time, we need to be examples to other women."

THAT is awesome! You can truly tell the difference between a person who does something for accolades and a person who does it just because it is what they do. It is all about the heart.

Awesome post!

Stat Counter