Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My 8 year old turns 9 tomorrow. All her little friends came over yesterday to enjoy a "missionary party". She told me a month ago she wanted to focus on missions at her birthday this year, so together we came up with a myriad of games, activities, crafts, and food for a missions theme. Usually when she gives me a theme its no problem. Butterfly theme, Garden theme - no problem! But missionary theme? She had me thinking really hard this year. Here is what we came up with...

We made 3 stations in the back yard. We had the kids "travel" to Africa, China, and India. At each station they learned about an important missionary in that country and did an activity or craft.

AFRICA
In Africa, the tent, the kids learned about David Livingstone, played "Hot Coconut", and Pin the Missionary on the Country - ouch!


CHINA

In China, they learned about Hudson Taylor and played "Find the Babies". We scattered about 100 paper dolls all over the yard and two teams had to find the most babies and rescue them to the orphanage.

INDIA

In India, the kids learned about William Carey and then we made scrapbook cards to send with Gospel for Asia to 4 sponsored children. The kids really enjoyed knowing that their cards would be sent to these actual kids. They wrote little notes and drew pictures. I took their photos with the cards and will send the pictures with the cards.
I made a globe cake and all sorts of buggy/native foods:

  • Cheese bugs
  • Ants on a log
  • Punch with flies (raisins) in the ice cubes
  • Dried pineapple and bananas
  • Fried rice with chopsticks
  • Tapioca (I just learned this is called Frog Eye Pudding to the kids!)
  • Pigs in a blanket

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi, there! Thank you so much for your comment on our blog! I posted a response there but will copy it here as well. That sounds like a great birthday party theme. How fun! That's so exciting that your daughter is interested in missions work like that.

In regard to Facebook:
Thanks so much for letting me know about that! I got on my Mom’s Facebook for a little while last night to see what kind of changes were made. We discovered something nice, although I’m not sure if it’s a change or if it’s always been there. Apparently, on the majority of the ads, there’s a little thumbs up and thumbs down. If you click the thumbs down, it will ask you why you don’t like the ad. Once you give a reason, it will remove the ad from your Facebook. So you can customize which ads you see while you surf Facebook. It does not mean, however, that someone else visiting your page can’t see those ads. Each person has to customize the ads they see on their own computer.

I strongly encourage all of you with Facebooks to take the time to customize your ads. There are some pretty awful ones up there.

Again, thank you all for your comments and encouragement!

-Bonnie

Donielle said...

What a cool party! And I loved the globe cake. I'll have to remember to think 'outside' the box like that as my kiddo gets older.

And thanks for stopping by Naturally Knocked Up! It's a site I really want to put my heart and soul into, as well as truly be God honoring.

Stat Counter