Thursday, July 24, 2008

Homeschooling Curriculum List


This is one of my favorite times of year as a homeschooler. No - not because school it out for the summer, but because this is the time of year I start to pour over curriculum catalogues like novels. I do that with cookbooks too - my husband thinks I'm crazy!

I received the christianbook homeschool catalogue last week and haven't been able to put it down. (You'd think it was Karen Kingsbury's last installment in the Sunset series - which I am lamenting by the way). Anyway, I have been pouring over it and making my list of wants and needs. Checking it twice through the publisher (rarely a good deal unless you want to support their ministry with the purchase), amazon, ebay and half.com. I also found a great book site last night and put in an order with biggerbooks.com. I was pleased with their checkout procedure and got an email confirmation shortly afterwards. Their price was great too!

Here's what I've decided on for this year of homeschooling (beginning day after Labor Day):
(My girls are 8 and 13)

Math: Saxon (7th and Algebra 1/2), Rod & Staff (5th)

English: still looking - any ideas? But I am looking to incorporate some poetry this year using The Grammar of Poetry.

History: Mystery of History Vol. 1 - can't wait!

Greek: Greek Tutor - taught by my Pastor husband - its over my head!

Hebrew: Hebrew Tutor - we were blessed to find these each for $1.50 at a thrift store last year.

Spelling: Rod & Staff - I've used this program for 2 years and am stuck. I wanted to try Spelling Power but figured, why ruin a good thing!

Science: Answers in Genesis - we received a donation of this series 2 years ago and have been working through them ever since. This year we'll be doing the God's Design for the Physical World Series

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting - I love this program as it is totally scripture based and has a coloring sheet with a Bible verse at the end of each lesson. I used it with my older daughter and look forward to using with my younger one this year.

Music Appreciation: Study of Schumann and Haydn from the Opal Wheeler Series - borrowed from friends last year and am really enjoying them. I have also decided...drum roll please...to teach my kids piano this year! I was going to put them in lessons but after much thought and prayer have decided to take the plunge and teach them myself. I can take them to a certain point - but then I'll have to seek professional help! I'm using Music in Me. Can't wait to receive it.

Other: I'm looking at purchasing The Fallacy Detective too. I'm unsure if I have enough time to teach it, but it looks great!

I've purchased a few of these materials already, have some leftover from last year and am searching for a good deal on some others.

Looking forward to a great year of homeschooling!

0 comments:

Stat Counter