Saturday, June 21, 2008

Homemade Laundry Detergent Experiment

After a recently read post at Money Saving Mom, and Simply Thrifty, I decided to try my hand at homemade laundry detergent. I priced out the ingredients to make a batch and went ahead. Here's how it worked...

Ingredients
1 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup grated Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap
All of the ingredients are available in the laundry aisle of the grocery store.

First, I used the semi-fine side of my grater and grated one bar of soap...

Next, I measured all the ingredients into a bowl...
And mixed them together...

Super simple - & it smells great!

Use only 1 Tbsp per load or 2Tbsp for heavily soiled loads.


Ingredient Cost
Borax $4
Washing Soda $3
Bar Soap $1

These ingredients make much, much, much more than one batch. You would need only to replace the bar of soap for each new batch.

Batch Cost
$1.64 per batch and will do approximately 64 loads (at 1 Tbsp per load)

Load Cost

2.5¢ per load


2 comments:

Lilly said...

Hi! How did the laundry detergent work for you when you used it?

Proverbs30one said...

Hi Lilly, so far I am very happy with the outcome of the laundry detergent. My kids have been playing hard in the dirt lately and it has gotten all the stains out. I also wash everything in cold water - so it must really be working!

Stat Counter